Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll find a little something extra to brighten your day, evoke a memory, or bring a smile. I love hearing from my visitors! I hope you'll check back for my replies to your comments. Have a blessed day!

Thursday, February 09, 2023

M is for--Missing!

Missing! I had returned to my dorm room (sophomore year) and he was missing! Fuzzy was not in his designated spot propped up on my pillow.  He wasn't accidentally under the covers. He hadn't fallen to the floor. None of the three roommates professed to know where he might be. 

Soon cryptic messages began showing up in my mail cubby. The words were formed from letters torn from magazines and newspapers then glued on plain white paper. I no longer remember how many such notes I received, but it was made clear that Fuzzy was in someone's possession. Then, the message arrived that Fuzzy would be returned safely IF the ransom was paid!

I gladly made a pan of brownies in the small dorm kitchen and took them to the designated location. I didn't see anyone around as I left them at the specified tree by the small lake at the south edge of town. Then, I returned to my room and waited. Memory doesn't let me recall how long or short the wait was, but the culprit did return Fuzzy. I found him squished in my mail cubby, with a piece of athletic tape over his mouth and his arms tied behind his back with a shoelace! I wish I had thought to take a photo, but I just quickly freed him and took him back to my room where he belonged. Whew!

My closest friend lived in a different dorm on campus, and as the story progressed I kept her up to date on what was happening. "You'll never guess what my roommates have done!" "Look at these notes!" "Now they're demanding a ransom!" Well, the joke was on me, because it turns out that SHE and her boyfriend were the ones who had Fuzzy all along!

They married and live many states away now. But whenever we are able to get together it's a pretty sure thing that Fuzzy's adventure will come up for remembrance. They visited a few months ago, and I had a preemptive plate of brownies ready for them, just in case!

2 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous story! I love it. It reminds me a little of the friend who had the local radio station call me on my 13th birthday and then kept asking if I'd found out who did it, The best part is that she was a Jehovah's Witness so I never suspected her. Your friend sounds like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely is! Your story is a good memory too!

      Delete