Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll find a little something extra to brighten your day, evoke a memory, or bring a smile. I love hearing from my visitors! I hope you'll check back for my replies to your comments. Have a blessed day!

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Promenade Your Partner!

     Okay, I'm laughing out loud here, so feel free to join in! Did you ever see such tiny heads on such tall, skinny bodies? :-) Guess that comes from not sketching this out in erasable pencil before starting in with the watercolor pencils. Is that what most of you who use watercolors do? So, yeah, I can hardly believe I'm actually posting this, plus linking with Scribble Picnic, for all the world to see!

     Anyway, the "Let's Dance" theme had so many possibilities, but I went with the first type I remember learning clear back in grade school–the good old square dance. When I got to high school, in a much larger town, it was even taught as part of the physical education classes. The school sponsored "barn dances" in the gym a couple of times a year, and I always loved going with the group of kids I hung out with. Talk about your aerobic exercise! Of course we (teens in the mid '70s) wouldn't dream of wearing the "typical" square dance flouncy skirts and such. Blue jeans and t-shirts for everyone worked just fine!


     Dance on over here to see what the other Scribblers are sharing this week.

6 comments:

  1. Well, the little heads give it a "modern art" look so go with it ... well, I think you did go with it and it is awesome. We had square dancing in PE as well and it was fun, but that was before blue jeans were okay for girl wear, so we wore skirts, Ha! I also went to some square dance parties at the Student Union when I was in college. It really is a fun way to spend an evening and like you said, burns up a lot of energy. Great fun, Jolene :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't mentioned the "heads" I would not have even noticed. My eyes were fixed on the dancers and the perfect steps they were taking and the flow of her skirt.
    I do remember square dancing in grade school and you had to hold the hand of a "yikes" boy.
    One thing I would put on my bucket list would be learning to "line dance"...I love watching a good "boot scooter".

    I really think you captured the essence of the dance. Good job.

    And as a footnote...pride goes before a fall....and they do not have "puffed up heads" hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. See now, if you hadn't mentioned the heads I would have thought that's what you were aiming for. Everyone has their own style. I totally can tell what they're doing and it does look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the little heads!! :) Your drawing is cute Jolene :) We actually had square dancing in high school as our gym program, I thought it was a lot of fun! :) It was an all-girls school though, so it would have been more fun with boys to dance with lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, Jolene, you are too cute! Yes, while those heads would mean these people are well over 9 foot or so, I love the fact that you’ve definitely captured the spirit of dance and one can almost feel them swaying, expecting them to start moving on the paper. I am waaaay more into creative interpretation and capturing the essence of something than simple exact representation which leaves me bored, even if technically perfect. So, this is lovely and well done and an EXCELLENT addition to our picnic. I also love your story here too. Awww. I love square dancing and learned how to do that and ballroom in college but as I’ve never really had a chance to use it over the decades, it’s all been sadly forgotten now. I think if I had been in your school back then, that would have been a lot of fun!
    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I too feel the sway of the tall couple - and I know he came right up to her and in a deep voice said, "Honey, let's dance".

    ReplyDelete