Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll find a little something extra to brighten your day, evoke a memory, or bring a smile. I love hearing from my visitors! I hope you'll check back for my replies to your comments. Have a blessed day!

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Hot and Spicy!

     Thinking about "spicy" for this week's Scribble Picnic theme makes me immediately think of hot peppers or chili. I didn't grow up eating much that was spicy, and subsequently don't cook with very many "hot" spices. (Ginger, cinnamon, cloves, etc. used in baking are another story!) According to an entry in Wikipedia, "Many spices have antimicrobial properties. This may explain why spices are more commonly used in warmer climates, which have more infectious diseases, ..." And perhaps that has just a bit to do with why my Louisiana born and raised daughter-in-law grew up loving her hot spices. Bless her heart, she has been known to tone down her use of them a little if she knows Benny and I will be joining them for a meal! :-)
     You can spice up your life a bit by visiting other contributions to the picnic here.

12 comments:

  1. That's a great drawing Jolene! And I do love that bowl too, it's very cheerful! :) I can't handle spicy anything, I always have to modify our chilis to suit my palate and stomach! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rain. I think I enjoyed doing the bowl the most! I don't think you'd have any problem with my chili (NOT as it appears here!)

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely little drawing, Jolene. I love the bowl and your write up is so cute. Bless her heart indeed! Yes, I love spicy but also can;t handle too much of it. I love that you put the peppers in a soup or chili to kind of mix it up a bit. Great job! Thanks for getting this in on time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love a deadline! :-)
      The real chili I make wouldn't look anything like this.

      Delete
  3. Very cute drawing, Jolene. Love your pottery bowl. I like Rain and Michael have to be careful about "really" spicy food. I do like mild chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Come visit and I'll serve some mild chili that we both could enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Hot and spicy are perfect for the cold weather. I never thought about people in warm climates using "hot" as a regular part of their diets ... I think you may be right, good thinking. So now you have my mouth thinking about hot chili ... hmmm, maybe I could whip some up for dinner. Love your post, Jolene ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make the chili and I'll make some cinnamon rolls to go with it. Now that I think about it, cinnamon is a spice... maybe I should have gone that route!

      Delete
  5. Love hot chili...hot and spicy. Great scribble art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll serve you some of my daughter-in-law's chili then! :-)

      Delete