Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll find a little something extra to brighten your day, evoke a memory, or bring a smile. I love hearing from my visitors! I hope you'll check back for my replies to your comments. Have a blessed day!

Thursday, November 09, 2017

Cookies Are a Snap!

Gingersnap cookies have been a family favorite as far back as I can remember. Mom used the recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Sometime in junior high or high school I typed the recipe (using Dad's trusty manual typewriter) onto a pink 3 x 5 index card. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've pulled out the card, mixed up the ingredients, rolled the dough into balls, dipped them in sugar, and baked up dozens of the tasty treat!

Scribble Picnic theme for the week is cookie, so of course I had to give these gingersnaps a try with my watercolor pencils. Couldn't figure out how to get the sparkle of the granulated sugar on them. I'm anxious to see here what deliciousness the other participants have stirred up for their cookie jars!
I was curious to see if BH&G still has the recipe, so went to their website. I see the recipe they post now is almost
the same as mine, but not quite. Plus, they call them "ginger cookies" instead of "gingersnaps." So, I'll just post the recipe with the ingredient amounts the way I grew up with it!

Gingersnaps
1 1/2 cups shortening            1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar                         4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup molasses                   2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 eggs                                  2 teaspoons cloves
4 cups flour                           2 teaspoons ginger

Cream shortening and sugar; add molasses and eggs; beat well.
Add sifted dry ingredients; mix well. (A wooden spoon works great, since the dough will be stiff.)
Shape dough into small balls; roll in additional granulated sugar; place 2 inches apart on greased (or lined) cookie sheet.
Bake at 375ยบ until light brown and puffy. Do not over bake!
Let cool a couple of minutes before transferring to wire racks.
Makes around 8 dozen cookies.

18 comments:

  1. Well, I love gingersnaps and I especially love them dipped in lemon curd, a dangerously delicious combination. I don't bake because I eat most of what I bake and my body can't afford that , so I just sit and drool over other peoples recipes. By the way ... you left the half eaten cookie out of your drawing ... is that because is was gone by the time you finished your drawing? :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I made myself finish the drawing before I ate any!

      Delete
  2. Jolene, your gingersnaps (correct term!) look divine - a little soft too than normal snaps. Perhaps the new recipe ask for more sugar, right?

    Your drawing of these is certainly inspired by love and memories. Looks fabulous. Great job and thank you for sharing the recipe as I love gingersnaps. I woudln't really cal these ginger cookies as there are no chunks of anything added and if they have a snap, then, perfect! I love to dunk them in coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My preference is for softer, a bit more chewy, and never dunked, but to each their own! :-) Many batches definitely end up with that snap, depending on how soon I get them out of the oven!

      Delete
  3. Mmmm everyone is sharing a delicious recipe this week. I should have shared my favorite snickerdoodle recipe. :) Great sketch and watercolor piece, Jolene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a "stands the test of time" recipe. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to bake those beautiful cookies to draw. It turned out quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could share some with everyone! Thank you, Tammie.

      Delete
  5. I like the name - gingersnaps - sounds better than ginger cookie. great take on theme.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they "snap" and sometimes they don't! Depends on how soon they leave the oven. :-)

      Delete
  6. Jolene, you're right - I think our cookies are so similar. You did a wonderful job drawing them. I bet it was hard to resist eating any before you got that done. You're like me, I like them a little soft and chewy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I had already sampled plenty before arranging some in the dish to draw!
      :-)

      Delete
  7. Well done on a lovely rendition for the theme, Jolene!

    We call them ginger nut biscuits here in Oz. The Arnotts brand I buy sure do snap and are vegan so perfect for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Serena!
      I've always wondered what biscuits (as in bread--small, raised) are called if "biscuits" are what we call "cookies".

      Delete
  8. YUM.....thanks for the recipe. Love your cookie pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely ginger cookie sketch, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and you're welcome, Christine!

      Delete